Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Holly On The Hill

Last week we had a guest speaker in class and her name was Holly Richardson. She spoke for about 3 hours and covered so many topics. One of the main things I learned from her is so stay active in your community when it comes to politics.

Another thing we covered, I feel we covered this more than anything and that was bills. I thought I'd cover what I learned about it and how a bill get passed in Congress. When a bill is brought onto the legislature, it is referred to a committee, then the members of that committee will consider the bill and decide what action to take on it and whether or not it will be passed on. Each committee holds a public hearing on a bill and will consider amendments to it. They decide whether the bill gets passed on to the House or Senate. The House and Senate will follow the recommendations of their committees and take a percentage of the yes or no votes on the bill. When a bill is being voted on, the majority of Yes votes is required to pass a bill. The bill must be passed and is then sent to the President and if he decides to sign the bill it will become a law. However if he decides to veto the bill he has to give his reasons for refusing to sign it and send it back to the house where the bill was first introduced. It is possible but very hard to do, Congress has the power to override a Presidential veto. All in all, it takes a lot of steps and a lot of hard work to pass a bill. If someone wants to introduce a bill themselves its very important that the said person is very active.

No comments:

Post a Comment