Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Larry Shepard

Last week we had a guest speaker named Larry Shepard who is a from U.S. Senator Mike Lee's Office. A lot of the things Larry covered was more of a refresher for me, basically things I had already known but I'll discuss majority of what we went over anyways and what I had learned from him while he was here.

We covered the 3 branches of government, what they are and who is in each of those branches. Then he followed up with talking about how each of those branches work together by checking and balancing each other out. Each branch has its own power over the other which I think is a very good way to go about it. I like that they are all equal in some way and have authority to one another.

We also discussed Requirements and Responsibilities of a U.S Senator. The only requirement that still amazes me is that you have to be 30 years of age and as we spoke of in class we couldn't find a valid reason of why you should be 30 over 23.

One of the most important parts of Larry Shepard coming to see us was to tell us to stay active in our community. Just like Holly Richardson had told us the week before. Larry discussed it a little differently and told us the best way to communicate with our executive officials and how. Something that I think that whole class learned from was the a petition isn't as important as you'd think it would be. It's basically just thrown out the window. Same with email and phone calls, they are just to "easy". Play it nice and professional and do the right things to talk to someone and your word can get through easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment